The carpet is not used to have a different look only to the concerned area, but it also helps one to have a calm atmosphere in the concerned place and elegance to the area. There are various types of carpets used in different places, but the basic problem of each of them is same, cleaning.
Why do we need to clean carpets?
It is necessary to clean our carpets regularly just like we periodically clean our clothes. The primary reasons why we should regularly clean our carpet are:
· Life expectancy of the carpet is increased
· Stains formed from spillages can be easily removed
· A hygienic environment is created by removal of dust, soil, debris
· Regular cleaning improves the appearance of even old carpets
· Risk of allergies, molds is reduced by elimination of mites and bacteria
· Clean carpets do not give off foul odors
How to keep carpets clean – alternative solutions
Domestic carpet cleaning Canberra involves vacuum cleaning. However, domestic vacuum cleaners, shampooers, and steamers, even the most advanced ones are not enough to thoroughly clean the accumulated dirt and germs. Better solutions to clean carpets involve dry cleaning and steam cleaning.
The steam cleaning solution is easier than dry cleaning as it involves only water, detergent, and a machine. The steam cleaning method consists of machine spraying detergent onto the carpet. The hot water/steam activates the detergent on the carpet fibers. The detergent should be alkaline for synthetic carpets and acidic for carpets made of wool or natural fiber. A vacuum cleaner is then used to suck up the water on the floor. Steam cleaning typically requires 12 to 24 hours to completely dry and be usable. However professional steam cleaners take lesser time to dry as they use more vacuuming power to dry the water. The main disadvantage of steam cleaning is that stubborn stains like pet stains or chemical stains typically reappear in the first few days. Commercial steam cleaning solutions can more efficiently clean the stains, however stubborn stains require multiple rounds of cleaning to get wholly cleaned or they may never get completely cleaned at all.
Steps to follow for Steam Cleaning
The following steps provide a guide for effective steam cleaning.
- Move the furniture – Slide all the furniture out if the way to allow easy access to the carpet and so that the wood pieces and other décor do not get affected by the steam.
- Vacuum the floors – Vacuuming before steam cleaning will help remove the top layer of dust and will allow the steam to clean the deeper stains and grime effectively.
- Add water and cleaner–Add carpet shampoo or any other cleaning solution to water in the correct proportion.
- Start in the far corner – Start in the corner furthest away from the doorway and make clean, straight lines.
- Allow the carpet to dry thoroughly – Rinse the floor properly and give the carpet enough time to dry.
- Protect yourself from fumes – Air out the fumes from the room before using it.